If you have not experienced SIM swapping, then you are a lucky one, but there several people who have gone through this and have become the targets. The incidents of SIM swapping theft have been increasing day by day, and it causes a substantial monetary loss to the victims, which may include financial institutions to individual people. Many of you are quite familiar with this term. You may be knowing that it is a new term defining the sophisticated way of stealing personal data, credit card numbers, and bank details by cybercriminals by gaining access through these details illegally. If you want to protect your online data and keep yourself safe from such malicious acts, then you must know the basics of these terms. Here is the overview of SIM swapping and the steps to protect yourself.
What is SIM swapping?
SIM swapping could be termed as the way used by cybercriminals to steal the online information of the targeted person, which often includes bank details, then they use such information to take the money from the accounts. Cybercriminals often target those economically soundpersons who so that they could get the substantial monetary benefit. First of all, they identify a particular person and then start sending malicious emails and tend to impersonate as legitimate businesses such as health insurers or credit card companies, or sometimes it may be in the form enticing to get the job. These mails are often intended to make the victims fool and getting their names and phone number details along with the bank details. Once they got the bank details and phone numbers, the cybercriminals start targeting the bank accounts and become able to harm you in terms of money hugely.
Ways to identify SIM swapping and protecting yourself
It is not easy to detect the SIM swap cybertheft before it takes place, and often people get to know about it only when the theft has already been done. Many of the victims have noticed that when they become the victim of such malicious activities, their phone numbers suddenly get inactive, and they found it difficult to place a call or message to anyone. However, several companies, along with financial institutions to mobile companies, are taking proper actions to prevent the personal data of the people. Still, these institutions also need the cooperation of people to fight against such harmful activities. People should know how to protect their private data by taking some simple yet most useful steps. Here are the tips on how you can protect your online information from any cyber theft:-
- Always remain careful and don’t log in to unrecognized websites whenever you found any emails with malicious links, fake login screens, and address bars as these are easiest ways of SIM swapping.
- You should reduce your excess personal online data as the persons who want to make you their victim may search it quickly, and it leads to SIM swapping. Keep the details regarding your date of birth, phone number, email address, and bank account number off on your many of the accounts.
- You can protect your data by creating strong Passwords’ and PINs that are required before login into your account.
- You can unlink your Smartphone number with your account if it is possible and also set security recovery questions required firm answers for login to your accounts.
- Make yourself sure that any of your passwords and answers to security recovery questions while setting up should not involve your details.
- You can also use an encrypted password manager and Google Authenticator to set up long and unique passwords and also avoid using FaceBook and Google to login to other services as these could be the soft target of the cybercriminals.
How to respond if you have become the victim of SIM swapping
If you have become a victim of SIM swapping, then rush to the local police station and file a complaint in the cybercrime department. It would help if you informed about the incident to your bank and other financial institutions without any fail so they could put your financial transactions on hold. You should also notify your cellular service provider about the theft and start changing passwords and other information along with email addresses.
Ellen Cooper is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.